IFAS Internal Management Memoranda

IFAS; Damage Covered by Insurance

EFFECTIVE DATE: December 1, 1993


SUBJECT: IFAS; Damage Covered by Insurance


    1. Fire and Extended Coverage

    1. This policy provides relief for damages against direct loss by fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, explosion, riot, riot attending a strike, civil commotion, aircraft, vehicles, smoke, flood, sinkhole, and by removal from premises endangered by the perils insured against in this certificate to University building and contents, and to University contents in leased buildings. Certain restrictions may apply.

    2. Important Notes About the Policy:

      1. University property is not insured against loss by theft.

      2. It would be prudent to maintain a listing of property under $500. The information could be stored in a fireproof repository or at another location.

      3. Employee's personal property kept on premises is not covered.

      4. Items not covered: bills, currency, securities, manuscripts, museum collections, artifacts, livestock, and other items similar in nature to the ones noted, not all inclusive.

      5. Transmission towers are insured at acquisition cost.

      6. Contents in leased buildings , shared or used-at-no- cost buildings may be insured (need not occupy the entire building). A leased building may be insured if the lease agreement requires such. The University must be leasing the entire building.

      7. It is advisable to notify IFAS Property Accounting when there is extensive movement of property from one building to another.

      8. Lightning loss requires an affidavit verifying a direct hit rather than a loss caused by low voltage, power surge, etc.

      9. Flooding in buildings created by maintenance problems or normal deterioration are not covered.

      10. Damages caused by pipes freezing, bursting and creating a flood are not covered; therefore, in the event of extremely cold conditions preventative measures should be initiated to protect exposed pipes from the elements.

    3. When an IFAS unit sustains damage from fire, windstorm, lightning or other natural causes, a portion of the repair/replacement cost is covered through insurance.

    4. Damages from fire, windstorm, etc. should be reported verbally to the IFAS Property Manager as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours after discovery, with the following information on a building by building basis:

      1. Date and time damage occurred.

      2. Description of damage.

        The IFAS Property Manager will notify the State of Florida Division of Risk Management as to the damage.

    5. If damage was caused by fire, an inspection must be made by the local representative of the State Fire Marshall. The inspection must be completed before any clean-up activity can begin. Gainesville units should contact the State Fire Marshall in Ocala, telephone (904) 732-1743. Units outside of Gainesville should contact the State Fire Marshall nearest to their location using the list at the end of this IMM. The Chief or the Assistant Chief of Property Risk Retention for the State of Florida may also personally survey the site depending upon how extensive the damage was or what type of damage was incurred.

    6. A written report to the IFAS Property Manager should follow the verbal report with the information in 4. and should contain an informal estimate of repair/replacement cost. The costs should be given by building number and show building damage separate from contents damage because each has separate insurance coverage. The IFAS Property Manager will forward the written report to the State of Florida Division of Risk Management.

      IFAS Facilities Operations will assist the unit with specifications, cost estimates, and design work to replace or repair the facility affected. Estimates for the repair/replacement of equipment should be obtained by the unit staff from the equipment vendors.

    7. Units can be authorized to make repair/replacement expenditures using insurance funds by requesting such authority from the IFAS Property Manager. Payments covering these repair/replacement expenditures are made directly from the IFAS Property Risk Replacement Account. Expenditures should not be charged to any other account for transfer at a later date to the IFAS Property Risk Replacement Account. The IFAS Property Risk Replacement Account is to be used only when expenditures are approved through insurance coverage for repair/replacement of property due to damage by fire, windstorm, lightning, etc. Please contact the IFAS Property Manager for the account number to use.

    8. When a unit is authorized to make expenditures from the Property Risk Replacement account, all purchase requisitions for the account should be sent initially to the IFAS Property Manager, PO Box 110150, Gainesville, Florida. Budget will be released as purchase requisitions are submitted.

      When processing vendor's invoices against these purchase requisitions, send them first to the IFAS Property Manager after they are approved in the unit. If they are over or under the encumbered amount, the budget must be changed to allow timely payment.

    9. Questions on this matter should be referred to the IFAS Property Manager, telephone number 392-2741.


    1. Fleet Automobile Liability

      1. This policy covers personal injury and property damage to other parties for accidents involving University automobiles while being used in the line of duty.

        1. Coverage Limits:

          Limits of Liability: $100,000.00 per person

          $200,000.00 each occurrence

        2. Personal Injury

          Protection: $ 10,000.00 per person

          $ 10,000.00 each occurrence

      2. Important Notes about the Policy

        1. Immediate medical insurance for non-state employees is not available while riding in state vehicles and persons must be advised of this before accepting transportation in a state vehicle. (Claims for injury must be filed with the State Dept. of Risk Management through IFAS Accounting.)

        2. Automobile - Physical Damage

          No state vehicle is insured for physical damage. Vehicles lent to the University or on long-term lease are presently self-insured by the unit borrowing or leasing the vehicle. If the lessor can provide physical damage insurance coverage and the insurance is required in the lease, the coverage must be taken and included as part of the leasing expense. This applies only to long-term leased vehicles and not rental vehicles (see Travel Section for rental vehicle insurance requirements).

      3. When an accident occurs, the following items must be obtained and sent to IFAS Accounting, PO Box 110050, Gainesville.

        1. University Driver at Fault

          1. Statement from the unit administrator clarifying incident and stating that the driver was in the line of duty.

          2. Copy of police report (University Police Dept., Florida Highway Patrol, Local Police Dept.).

          3. Two estimates of repair costs for repairs to the other party's vehicle or property.

          4. IFAS Accounting will processes all of the above noted documentation with claim form to the Department of Risk Management, Bureau of State Liability Claims in Tallahassee for final determination. (could take 6 to 10 weeks)

            Sometimes the other party will choose to have their vehicle repaired through their insurer. Their insurer then files a subrogation claim with the University. In this situation, IFAS Accounting should be provided the above noted items (1), (2) and (3).

        2. Other Party at Fault

          1. The unit administrator should obtain the items in 13.a) (1) and (2) above and forward them to IFAS Accounting.

          2. The unit administrator should contact the other party to determine how the repairs (if any) to the state vehicle will be paid.

          3. Have the state vehicle repaired and obtain payment from the other party. If a reimbursement check is received prior to the payment for the repairs, send it to IFAS Accounting for deposit. It will be used to reimburse the unit after the repairs are complete.

          4. If payment from the other party cannot be obtained, legal action may be necessary. Contact IFAS Planning and Business Affairs for assistance.

      4. Four possible scenarios regarding automobile accidents are presented. The first two scenarios are pertinent to a State employee driving a State vehicle for State business and becoming involved in an accident.

        1. Employee at Fault

          1. Employee injuries covered by Workers' Compensation.

          2. Insurance does not repair State vehicle. Unit pays for repairs to State vehicle if they want it repaired.

          3. State pays for repairs to other party's vehicle.

          4. Injuries to party(ies) in other vehicle. Other party's Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance or other medical plan is the primary coverage. State would cover if insured party(ies) "pierced" the PIP threshold. (This means that the accident resulted in death, permanent disability, or disfigurement.)

          5. Injuries to non-State employee as a passenger in State vehicle. Injured party's PIP insurance or medical plan is the primary coverage. The State would provide liability coverage for the non- State employee if that person's injuries "pierced" the threshold.

        2. Employee Not At Fault

          1. Employee injuries covered by Workers' Compensation.

          2. Unit Administrator negotiates with other party's insurer to have the State vehicle repaired.

          3. Injuries to party(ies) in other vehicle. No responsibility to employee or State.

          4. Injuries to non-State employee as a passenger in State vehicle. Their PIP insurance or other medical plan is the primary coverage. A non- State employee may not have PIP. In that case, coverage can be afforded under the State PIP. Other party would pay if injured party "pierced" the PIP threshold (as a liability claim).

            NOTE: If renting a vehicle, (state contract rentals) all the above specifics apply with the exception of the repairs to the State vehicle. The renter (contract rental company) would negotiate with the other party's insurer to repair that party's vehicle. On non-State contract vehicles, the vehicle owner may try to file against the state for damages to his/her vehicle.

      5. The next two scenarios are pertinent to a State Employee driving his/her personal vehicle for State business and becoming involved in an accident.

        1. Employee At Fault

          1. Personal insurance would have to repair employee's vehicle.

          2. Employee injuries covered by Workers' Compensation.

          3. State pays for repairs to other party's vehicle that are in excess of the employees' insurance. Other party's PIP insurance or other medical plan is the primary coverage. Employee's coverage would only be involved if injured party "pierced" the PIP threshold and filed a liability claim.

          4. Injuries to non-State employee as a passenger in employee's vehicle for State business. Injured party's PIP insurance or other medical plan is the primary coverage. Employee's PIP would be secondary coverage.

        2. Employee Not At Fault

          1. Employee injuries covered by Workers' Compensation.

          2. Employee negotiates with other party's insurer to have his/her vehicle repaired.

          3. Injuries to non-State employee as a passenger in employee's personal vehicle on State business.

            The injured party's PIP insurance is the primary coverage. The employee's PIP is the secondary coverage. Other party would pay if injured party "pierced" the threshold (as a liability claim).

      6. Using a Motor Pool Vehicle

        If an employee is involved in an accident and is at fault, Motor Pool would charge the appropriate department the lowest of three estimates to repair the State vehicle.


    1. Other Insurance Coverage

      1. The following are other types of insurance coverage available to the University.

        1. General Liability

          Protection to others from injury and property damage resulting from negligence and hazards related to University business and property. Protection for the individual officers, employees, and agents of state agencies in the area of federal civil rights claims filed under 42 USC's 1983 or similar federal statutes.

        2. Inland Marine

          This type of insurance offers protection against loss, damage, or theft of property lent or leased from outside the State system to the University if the use agreement specifically requires that insurance be provided. University owned equipment may not be insured on the inland marine policy. Equipment that is being used on University property, but is not University owned is not covered by the Florida Fire Insurance Trust Fund. It may be covered by the Inland Marine Policy. This policy is primarily utilized to insure exhibits in various gallery areas throughout campus, equipment purchased by a grant where the grantor is retaining ownership, and work related office and/or laboratory items moved from other locations for new professors. Exhibits are covered only when they are under the domain of the University. If exhibits are lent by the University to another party, then that party is responsible for the exhibit and insurance. The unit should contact IFAS Fiscal Services thirty days prior to needing the coverage. The information needed for coverage is the organization code to be charged, a list of items and values to be insured, and the dates the coverage is needed.

        3. Money and Securities

          Protects the University from losses of monies and securities resulting from actual destruction, disappearance, or wrongful abstraction inside or outside University premises. Whenever there is a detection of a monies or securities loss, immediately contact the University Police Department, the Local Police Department, the Office of Internal Management Auditing and IFAS Fiscal Services.

        4. Nuclear Liability

          Bodily injury and property damage to others as a result of a nuclear incident.

        5. Public Employees Blanket Bond

          Coverage extends to any loss caused by failure of any employees, acting alone or in collusion with others, to perform faithfully or to account for all monies and property received by virtue of their employment.

        6. Worker's Compensation

          Administered by Personnel Services.

        7. Other

          Any department requesting insurance coverage not provided above must contact IFAS Fiscal Services at lease 60 days prior to the time needed. Availability of insurance coverage and cost can then be determined.

      2. In the event of an incident or accident relative to these coverages, obtain as much information as possible.

        1. Notify local police department, if appropriate.

        2. Notify IFAS Fiscal Services, PO Box 110040, telephone 392-1733, to determine the procedures to be followed for the particular occurrence.

        3. Obtain all pertinent information and prepare a description of the circumstances applicable to the type of incident or accident. Submit this to IFAS Fiscal Services.

        4. Claimant must submit a statement regarding the nature of the incident and all related bills to IFAS Fiscal Services.

        5. All documents are sent to the Department of Insurance, Division of Risk Management in Tallahassee.

    The Fire Marshall's Bureau of Fire and Arson Investigations has field offices located throughout the State. You should call the field office nearest you. The offices and telephone numbers are:
A. Daytona Beach (904) 238-4747
B. Ft. Lauderdale (305) 467-4261
C. Ft. Myers (813) 278-7291
D. Ft. Walton Beach (904) 833-9125
E. Jacksonville (904) 359-6142
F. Marathon (305) 289-6020
G. Miami (305) 471-2506
H. Ocala (904) 732-1743
I. Orlando (407) 897-2892
J. Pensacola (904) 444-8500
K. Tallahassee (904) 922-3173
L. Tampa (813) 272-3985
M. West Palm Beach (407) 837-5050